Thursday, March 20, 2008

Diary of a Laser Hair Removal Guinea Pig--Part 5: Oh no, it's spring & the hair on my leg has sprouted!

So far, it's been more than a year since I started laser hair removal. I've been getting the treatments in fits and starts because I started with the bikini, which was fast, and then added in the full legs, which takes more than three hours and requires that I keep all lasered bits out of the sun.

At this point, I can't remember if I've had two or three leg treatments and four or five bikini treatments (there was that time I showed up, but had shaved the day before -- a no-no -- so was sent home). Thank goodness the people at Completely Bare, where I go, keep track for me.

Uh-Oh, My Hair is Growing Back. But Why?

Here's the latest update. Last month, all of a sudden my previous somewhat hairless legs started sprouting again. If you read my diaries, you'll learn that for most of my life, I have suffered from Sandpaper Legs and I was thrilled that the laser seemed to put an end to that. I was only having to shave a couple times a month compared to my previous every other day. But now, with the onset of warm weather, the legs on my hair is growing again.

It's spring people, and my leg hairs have sprung.

According to a recent beauty Q&A in Oprah magazine, studies show your hair actually does grow faster in summer, so perhaps this is an effect of season and the hair growth will slow down in winter. But I can't help but think: $6,000, 20 percent tips and hours of time spent on the salon table and I should be seeing better results than this. After all, I spent less getting Lasik Eye surgery. It felt like a huge chunk of change at the time, but took hardly any time at all and I had to pay no tips. One sleep-pill induced night of sleep later and I had better than 20/20 vision. Now that's what I call Worth My Hard-Earned Money.

So Would I Recommend YOU Get This Done?

At this point, I'm pretty happy with the bikini treatment (only a couple more to go) but I'm not sure I'd recommend a full leg laser treatment. The cost, pain and time just aren't worth the return. I'm fearful that I'll have the experience of Hairy Back, a friend of a friend who tried laser hair removal a few years ago only to have it all grow back again. He ended up opting for electrolysis, which would literally take years for a full leg.

I still have three sessions of six to go on my legs (almost done with the bikini) and as wonderful as my technician is, I'm dreading getting on the table. I'll keep everyone posted.


source from http://beauty.about.com

No comments: