Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Acne FAQ by Dr. Howard Murad: Acne and Teen Self-Esteem

"My 13-year-old daughter has acne. She's being treated for it, but she's very embarrassed; it seems to be affecting her self-esteem. Any advice?"

Acne at any age can have a detrimental effect on self-esteem, which seems to be magnified during the teen years. When I see a patient who suffers from poor self-esteem due to acne, I tend to take more time with them, listening to their concerns, and relating to my own experience of having acne during my youth. I overcame the condition, and they can too. I also tend to be a bit more aggressive in my treatment, to quickly improve the skin condition and turn their confidence around. First of all, if the patient is currently treating the acne, and the treatment she is using is not working or giving positive results, I suggest switching to something different. I also recommend an "inside-outside" approach to treatment: I suggest patients take a supplement containing ingredients such as vitamin A and zinc to help control breakouts, as well as using topical products.

Dr. Murad's Recommended Products
Product name: Murad Acne Complex Kit
What it does: Contains clarifying cleanser, exfoliating acne treatment, skin perfecting lotion, acne spot treatment. In independent clinical studies, over 90 percent of the participants using this system experienced a reduction in blemishes in just four weeks.
Price: $59.90
Available at: Murad.com

Product name: Pure Skin Clarifying Supplement
What it does: This nutritional supplement contains vitamin A and zinc to control breakouts and antioxidants like grape seed extract to help keep skin healthy and protected.
Price: $35
Available at: Murad.com

source from http://beauty.ivillage.com

No comments: